Friday, October 11, 2013

Catching up on the calendar

This will be a travelogue of sorts, hitting all the sights that Dottie and I covered on her visit. We started most unfortunately in Aix when the nice little clio lost her side door bumper.  Buck's reaction was "I could have told you to stay out of Aix".  We spent a very unpleasant time 10 years ago trying to drive through Aix that may have taken years off Buck's life.  And there wasn't much to see once Dottie and I finally parked and walked around.  I'd call Aix underwhelming.

Next day we went hiking in what is called the colorado provencal.  It's an area of ochre cliffs, like Rousillon but smaller, with trails through it.  Here's a look:


   











Next stop was lunch in Viens, a village mentioned in Rick Steve's Provence book.  I admit that I use Rick--he's good and practical.  And this was  a good rec.  Had a fine lunch of a soupe du poisson.  And discovered a spectacular cemetery--they are really interesting places.

The trip ended with a longer than expected drive to Manosque and the l'Occitane Factory store.  I squirted and sprayed so many scents on me that I still smelled in bed after my shower.

The bummer of the day came later at home when I realized there must have been some mussels in the soup at lunch.  I am very allergic to mussels.  About 6 hours after eating them I start throwing up---really, really throwing up.  This was not a bad case--there must have been a bit of mussel juice in the soup stock--but I  knew it was there.

Saturday was spent at Les Baux, a medieval castle ruin on a hilltop in the Alpilles near St. Remy, with a village below.  After that, we walked to the Carrieres Lumiere nearby.  This hard to explain, but was quite a show.  The carriere is abadoned mines, the inside of which have been turned into a sound and light show exhibit space.  You walk into a cool, damp cavernous space, with white washed walls all around through which you can wander with pictures projected on every space.  The show we saw was paintings from artists connected to the Mediterranean.  Hard to describe, but immensely well done.

Sunday we took off to Sault to find the Fete des Saveurs d'Autumnale.  It was a local Ventoux farmers fair of autumn produce and was a kick.  With a swinging band, lunch for free if you could push your way to the tables set up by the pork producers, veggie farmers and the Ventoux wineries and lots of booths with public interest information.  Just a bit of the color:

The largest meringues ever.

lunch preparations
Just like New Orleans

On Monday we hit Rousillon and Goult, where I almost was left to die in the public toilet.  I went in, Dottie was sitting on a bench sort of nearby.  I tried to get out, and couldn't get the door open.  Finally a man walking by heard and jerked open the door for me.  Free at last!!!  Finished the day with a walk in St. Sat to the moulin, chateau and chappelle.  Dottie declared I was trying to make a mountain goat out of her the last 4 days, but that's why they are called hill towns.

Tuesday was market day in town, then on the road to Marseilles and good bye.  Made a lunch stop in Lourmarin for a delicious poulet roti lunch, got Dottie to KLM safely and myself back over the hills without getting anywhere near Aix---another good day.











1 comment:

  1. Trish--I have enjoyed this so much. Look forward to talking to you once you are settled at home.

    ReplyDelete