Friday, September 20, 2013

Around Town

My holiday is over--no more skipping class. Wednesday morning I met Barbara, my professeur de langue.  She is a French native who has lived in Great Britain, a young mother of two, and very patient with my slow, halting speech. She, on the other hand, is tres vite to my ears, running every word together to make one giant flood of sound.  There have been struggles, but she then sees the totally blank look on my face and slows down so I have a chance to catch up with her.  We finished the day today with l'adjectif possessif et le pronom possessif--what a rousing way to end the first week.

I decided to take a break from grammar this afternoon and walk around town taking pictures to put together a little scrap book look at my village. My photography skills are't great, but I hope you'll enjoy.                                                                                                                        
This is where I'm staying for the first 2 weeks, chez M. Jullien.  I love this front door.  I have a key that looks like it opens a dungeon, it goes into the lock and is carefully turned to the just right spot, then I throw my left hip against the door and push.  It sounds like the house is exploding, and the door cracks open enough for me to grab the big, heavy knob in the middle of it and push my way in.  It took a while for me to get that rhythm, but now I just love it.


Above the "modern" village are the ruins of a fortified village, dominated by a donjon and chapel consecrated in 1056. There has been some reconstruction of the chapel and it can actually be used now.


 



All these additional shots are just places I thought looked cool, and representative, as I walked around this afternoon.  There are both of the boulangeries (one of which has a charming statue of a pony in front of it), another bar, a medieval building once attached to the earlier fortifications and now renovated with apartments, and just general stuff.  It's St. Saturnin, in the Luberon, on a Friday afternoon in September.




                                                                         
 




Bon weekend a tous

1 comment:

  1. Hi Trish--I love the way your village looks and it sounds as if all is going very well. I'm happy you are making progress--keep it up. Bon courage!! I went on a fab girls' weekend to the mountains of VA and have just returned--had a great time. Love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete